|Portrayed By||David Krumholtz|
|Date of Birth||June 1, 1983|
|Place of Birth||Davis, CA, USA|
|Current Location||New York City, NY, USA|
|Occupation||Various; potential recording career with Portia|
|Known Relatives||Charles (father), Lisa (mother)|
|Significant Other||Portia Maddox|
|Known Abilities||Thinks he has Clairvoyance|
|First Appearance||Broken Glass|
Randall is a Californian transplant in search of the paranormal - white magic, alien technology, what have you. He's aware of Evolved abilities, but holds a number of mistaken beliefs about them, primarily that he has one himself.
Growing up, Randall displayed a moderate intelligence and work ethic, and enjoyed a healthy social life (eccentric by nationwide standards, but fairly normal for the area).
An early interest in comic books was limited by his allowance, so he contented himself with the occasional random sampling. During high school, he became interested in the Church of All Worlds, spending some time during the summer with their nest in Sonoma; his parents didn't think too highly of the idea, but let him have his way, figuring that denying him at that point would merely inspire him to rebel.
He drifted further down to Berkeley, majoring in history and continuing to pursue his intuition that Something Important was playing out in the realm of the paranormal. He picked up bits and pieces from physics and literature, but avoided getting too detailed in any one area, rationalizing it by insisting that the value of doing so was offset by a forest-and-trees problem.
Equipped with a patchwork of theories and a Greyhound schedule, he set out for New York. (Not that important things weren't going on in California as well, but he felt he was too easily distracted by its mundane aspects, and needed to start fresh.) His plan was to live cheap, work some odd jobs, and keep his eyes wide open; he's pretty much stayed with the first and third, but a stint at a pawn shop ran a lot longer than expected after the previous owner unexpectedly left it to him in his will.
(OOC: Randall's ability to notice and correctly interpret Evolved abilities is limited to human perception and misperception, and can thus be as accurate - or as laughably inaccurate - as you like. Feel free to make suggestions, or to let me pick something that will maintain variety.)
|Looking Glass (April 2011)|
- "I guess you're right… there's kind of a Fletcher and Tanya vibe to the whole thing, if the book's all you have to go on."
- "I'm not pursuing my dream into corners like that."
- "…or have we looped back around to Topaz yet?"
- "Hurt. Trying for me! But hurt."
- "He's hiding something."
- "I did that because I had to. Something like that could happen again, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the right mindset to go looking for it."
- "I didn't do anything! --I did something. But not that!"
- "I assure you my eyes are unveiled."
- "You want to know how many nights I spent staring up at my ceiling, wondering just how close to the surface my Mister Hyde really was?"
- "And it [New York] really is small, if you look at it the right way. Think of it like this piece of paper— it could be huge, but just because some parts are far apart now…"
- "You're looking a little marmalade around the edges, are you sure you're feeling all right?"
- As part of his Emperor Norton gag, Randall sent a serious letter to the president. The form-letter reply is now framed and hanging on his wall.
- Randall has appeared in 9th Wonders!.
- Randall has never done an opening voiceover, but maybe someday...
- Randall's old pawn shop is across the street from the Jittetsu Arms.
- Randall refuses to watch Afterlife because it gets everything wrong.